Home Fire engine

Fire engine

Object

Vehicle

Production date

1735

Object number

1996.36

Physical Description

Fire Engine

This fire engine is more than 150 years old. It was kept at St Augustine’s Church, in the parish of St John-at-Hackney, and used by volunteers to put out fires in the area.

Water was poured into the trough at the end. A team of men then pushed the wooden poles on either side of the engine up and down. This pumped the water out through a leather hose and onto the fire. Unfortunately the hose has not survived.

Associated Place

Inscription

'Hand painted inscription on two side panels reads "St John at Hackney, George Cowland, Aaron Ayshford, Churchwardens'. '1838' painted on panel at front.

Material

Woods
Metals

Dimension

Height (Whole): 1690mm
Width (Whole): 900mm
Depth (Whole): 1780mm

Credit line

See notes and further CD of images in history files in Museum workroom

On display?

Yes